Located on the southern tip of Key Biscayne, Cape Florida Lighthouse is one of the best know features in the Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park. The lighthouse and area was named by Ponce de Leon as “Cape of Florida” when he led a Spanish expedition to Florida in 1513. The present lighthouse was completed in 1846. The original lighthouse was damaged during the Second Seminole War. The area has a long history as a secret meeting place for runaway slaves waiting for safe passage to the British Bahamas. In 2004 Cape Florida was designated a National Underground Railroad network to Freedom Site.
Timeline created at http://www.readwritethink.org/files/resources/interactives/timeline_2/