Built in 1893, the Old Jail is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This two-story fireproof brick, steel and concrete structure was also home to the Sheriff and his family. There were babies brought into the world and men taken from the world in this building. Actual photographs of what is believed to be the last legal hanging East of the Mississippi are on display. This was Hamilton County’s only jail, and was used until 1984. The building is significant as the oldest functioning jail building in the State of Florida as identified by the National Park Service. More about the Old Jail can be found on the National Park Service’s nomination form for the property.